Monday, January 17, 2011

Tube Weaning: Day 8

We seem to be on the verge of a breakthrough but it's frustrating for everyone.  Auggie seemed anxious, hungry and a bit frantic today when he was presented with food.  He insisted on grabbing a tangerine from me and then bit into it really hard and made a grunting sound (very caveman like).  He almost took a big chunk out of it.  Again, he was not too interested in taking a spoon from me but he fed himself a few times, ate off my finger and sucked food from his nuk brush.  He took slightly less today from his bottle but more solids than yesterday.  Another new development today was that he started taking small sips of water from his nuby sippy cup.  His calories via tube were reduced by 60% overnight. I gave him some pedialyte during the day to calm him.  He's having good pee diapers so he's staying hydrated even though I'm only giving him 400ml of fluids via his tube.  His speech therapist comes tomorrow so I hope he makes some progress.  He has already lost about 3.5% of his starting weight (we're allowing a weight drop of 10% before we change course). 

No comments:

Post a Comment