Thursday, January 13, 2011

Tube Weaning: Day 3

I was too tired last night to post about the day's progress. Yesterday I decreased his overnight formula by another 10%, so he had 480ml of 24 calorie neocate overnight (turned it off at 8 AM).  The whole day was much the same - he did not open his mouth for the spoon but he did not mind having his lips swiped with some food.  I gave him an apple chunk to mouth and for the first time he actually took a tiny bite and gagged (of course, I hadn't peeled the darn thing because I didn't expect him to take a bite!).  Later that day he took tiny sips of water from a small bottle with a newborn nipple.  He took it with him in his bath and had a good time playing with it on his own.  He enjoys taking a peeled tangerine and mashing it up and then sucking on the slices - we did that twice yesterday.  I also gave him a few slices of peeled tangerines from a can that he seemed to like.  He also was very interested in Mr. Juice Bear.  We tried some purees as well: peas, butternut squash, and rice cereal with prunes. He also chewed on a cucumber spear - again taking a tiny bite and gaging when he got a surprise piece in his mouth - I think I'll take a break from from undissolvable solids for a while.  I've tried snap pea crisps with him several times but he quickly pushes them off his tray.  If anything he is getting used to having some different textures and liquids of various kinds around him - I guess we made some progress....we''ll see what happens today.

No comments:

Post a Comment