Sunday, August 22, 2010

Yikes, the tube came out!

I no longer freak out when Auggie pulls his tube out, instead I take a deep breath and I prepare...here's how I proceed:
1) I have my husband cuddle the baby because bad times are coming
2) I prepare the new duoderm tape and adhesive - this means cutting pieces to fit his face and then placing the duoderm on his face
3) I swaddle the baby
4) I kiss the baby and tell him I love him.
5) I lay him flat and lift his head up with one hand and with the other hand I take the tube and start inserting it until I reach the number where it should be. (best to mark it with a marker for better visibility).
6) Baby is screaming but tube is in and I place the adhesive tape over the duoderm and tube.
7) Cuddle, kiss and soothe baby, REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT
8) Once the baby is calm I check for placement using a stethoscope and 2ml air.

I have not worked up the courage to insert one of these tubes in my own esophagus so I don't know how it feels, but don't let the doctors tell you otherwise, I know from my baby's tears that it must hurt like hell.

1 comment:

  1. AH! This is so familiar. We had the EXACT same routine, except I think you handled it better. There was often arguing and even yelling during ours. Sad to think about.

    Only other difference was that we would place her in the giant wedge made for her at the hospital--it had velcro straps and helped keep her in place (not that she didn't manage to thrash anyway). The screaming is so awful. It must be incredibly painful and traumatic for them. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete