Friday, August 20, 2010

Tube weaning - it's an industry in and of itself

I've been reading so much recently on tube weaning. I had no idea that it was so complicated and political!! There are many different reasons why children are tube fed, but I think all mothers can agree that the feeling of not being able to help your child feed and thrive on his own is awful. In the US the tube weaning programs tend to focus on behavior modification while in Europe the model is much more hunger based with a self regulated approach. Families travel to Austria to a special tube weaning clinic in Graz or to Darmstadt, Germany to see a renowned doctor. I don't know how/where we will be weaning as that day is a few weeks away (I hope) but some days I just feel like running off to a tropical island with that little baby and leaving the tube at home. Other days I am more realistic and think that there probably is something wrong with my baby and he NEEDS this tube. We're still going through testing to rule out medical problems, but I feel helpless in the meantime. Someone should open a tube weaning clinic in Hawaii where we can get some much needed R&R while the babies crawl around in the sand and eat papaya with their hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment