Monday, September 7, 2015

Auggie has started Pre-K!

Auggie continues to amaze us!  He started Pre-K a few weeks ago and has adjusted so well.  He was never able to stay at preschool without me by his side, so we were dubious about Pre-K. But, to our amazement, on the first day of school I brought him into the classroom and showed him his desk. As he started playing with playdough and after I said goodbye to him he gave me a kiss and said, "okay, bye mama". Not only that, but he now also takes the bus to school!  It was his idea!  A year ago I never would have thought it possible.

He has an IEP with 2 qualifying conditions: Other Health Impairment is primary and Speech and Language is secondary. His Pre-K class is geared towards children who need help with speech and language. There are nine children and four staff! This gentle introduction to school has been the prefect fit for our little Auggie!  I don't know what will happen after this year, but we have to take it one year at a time and do what's right for him at the moment even if it means having kids at two different schools and at opposite ends of the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment